Megaworld 2017 Net Income Jumps 13.4%, Sets P60-B Capex This Year
March 26, 2018
Megaworld, the country’s largest developer of integrated urban townships, grew its net income by 13.4% to P13.3-billion (including non-recurring gains of P113-million) in 2017 from P11.7-billion (including non-recurring gain of P82-million) the previous year. Net income attributable to parent company ended at P12.8-billion by end-December 2017, a 12.7% jump from P11.3-billion during the same period last year. The healthy growth was underpinned by the strong performances of its key businesses in residential and hotel developments, office as well as commercial space leasing in malls and shopping centers.
Consolidated revenues including non-recurring gains grew 7.7% to P50.4-billion in 2017 from the previous year’s P46.8-billion.
Megaworld's rental business, which covers both office and commercial space leasing grew the fastest among the segments. Rental income soared 18.2% to P11.8-billion in 2017 from last year’s P10-billion.
Comprising around 70% of its consolidated revenues, the company’s residential business was up 4.5% in 2017, growing to P34.6-billion from P33.1-billion the previous year.
“We are still way beyond our targets and we see this momentum to continue until we reach our P20-billion target in annual rental income by 2020, or even beyond that. There is still so much opportunities to tap in the property market and we are ready for that,” says Francis Canuto, senior vice president and treasurer, Megaworld.
Megaworld is allocating P60-billion in capital spending this year, with 80% covering development projects, mostly residential, office and commercial developments in various townships across the country. The remaining 20% will be set aside for land acquisition and other investment properties.
“The Megaworld Group is now present in more than 30 cities around the country. We will continue to be aggressive in developing more townships and integrated lifestyle communities across the country, most especially in the provinces.
Last year, Megaworld's subsidiary Global-Estate Resorts, Inc. (GERI) introduced its second ‘integrated lifestyle community’, the 300-hectare Hamptons Caliraya, in Cavinti, Laguna, which is surrounded by the famous Lake Caliraya.
About the same time last year, Megaworld announced that it is developing a Makati-inspired Business District in General Trias Cavite, the 35-hectare Maple Grove Commercial District. In just over a month, it has sold around 80% of the 360 prime commercial lots worth P9-billion, the fastest take-up of titled commercial lots in the company’s history.
During the last 28 years, Megaworld has built over 660 residential developments, 54 office towers and 15 lifestyle malls in 23 masterplanned townships and integrated lifestyle communities across the Philippines. These also include: Eastwood City in Libis, Quezon City, (18.5 hectares); Newport City in Pasay City (25 hectares); McKinley Hill (50 hectares), McKinley West (34.5 hectares), Uptown Bonifacio (15.4 hectares) and Forbes Town (5 hectares), all in Fort Bonifacio, Taguig City; The Mactan Newtown in Lapu-Lapu City, Cebu (30 hectares); Iloilo Business Park in Mandurriao, Iloilo City (72 hectares); Sta. Barbara Heights in Sta. Barbara, Iloilo (173 hectares); Boracay Newcoast in Boracay Island (150 hectares); Twin Lakes in Alfonso, Batangas near Tagaytay (1,300 hectares); Arcovia City in Pasig City (12.3 hectares); Southwoods City in the boundaries of Cavite and Laguna (561 hectares); Davao Park District in Lanang, Davao City (11 hectares); Alabang West in Las Piñas City (62 hectares); Eastland Heights in Antipolo, Rizal (640 hectares); Suntrust Ecotown in Tanza, Cavite (350 hectares); Maple Grove in General Trias, Cavite (140 hectares); The Hamptons Caliraya in Lumban-Cavinti, Laguna (300 hectares); The Upper East (34 hectares) and Northill Gateway (50 hectares) both in Negros Occidental; Capital Town Pampanga beside the Pampanga Provincial Capitol in the City of San Fernando (35.6-hectares); and Westside City in the Entertainment City in Paranaque City (31 hectares.)